.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Good-Bye John Lynch 

I may not have mentioned that I am a football freak. Officially, certifiable. The standing rule is do not call me (cell or home) on Sunday afternoons. I have an old 1" Watchman so that I can catch the games if I'm at the beach or on the boat. It's bad, and I'll join a 12 step program at some point. I promise.

That being said, today I had news that knocked the wind right out of me. I was returning from running stores in Orlando, when I hear someone talking about John Lynch leaving Tampa. John Lynch? #47, 11 year veteran Strong Safety? One of the Captains of the Team? One of the pivotal players on one of the best defenses in the league? (and no that is NOT up for discussion - no comments yet - it's what ever I say!).

That's right folks, for some unknown reason the Tampa Bay Buc's have "released" John Lynch - he's now a free agent. Wow. That hurts. I don't know which is the stronger emotion right now, shock or anger.

Let me just tell you - this man and his wife have been such an integral part of this community they will be sorely missed. The Lynch Foundation does so many wonderful things. John is a huge supporter of our trooops, and has been for a very long time.

And I love to watch him play. His joy in what his does is palatable. I have the official DVD from THE Superbowl, and I still have to smile when I watch him and hear his comments. He Loves to Play Football, and Tampa Loves to Watch Him Play.

They had a live interview with him this afternoon and he is just such a class act. He was completely blindsided by this and as confused as we the fans.

It sounds like the NY Jets and the Colts have already called him (there's a surprise) so it's just a matter of where he will end up.

I just needed to say that this is not right. John - in the hearts of Tampa Bay, you will always be a Buc. Thank you for 11 WONDERFUL years and Good Luck.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES