.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

How do we talk about it? 

In running thru my morning reading routine, I came across this poignant piece Lex posted last evening. Take a moment to go and read it if you haven't already.

I found myself remembering 9/11 from another angle. Oh - believe me the shock and horror are all still there. I'm talking about that afternoon and evening. Sitting at my friend's house with her two daughters and trying to calm their fears and come up with some kind of an explanation.

I lived in Bradenton at that time and her home is near the Gulf. It seemed like every couple of minutes a jet from McDill would fly over. Her oldest daughter, 12 at the time, would jump and run to the door. At one point I had her come and climb into the chair with me and we just sat there. I could feel her flinch every time another one flew out. I cried a lot that day. But the first time I actually felt her fear I cried even harder. The bastards had succeeded in making our children afraid. No, that was not going to stand. Not in this country. Not now, not ever.

We talked about what had happened. The girls just kept asking why. We couldn't answer. All we could say is that we would do everything in our power to keep them safe. I wanted to say more, but couldn't.

Lex - you are right. Monsters need to be destroyed. I can't imagine living in fear, or worse yet, having to have that discussion again.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES