.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Is It Worth It? 

Lately I've had many discussions, and read many articles, that center around finding the balance between work and life.

I'll be the first person to admit - I have no life. None. This is it.

And most of the time I'm alright with that. Does this make me a sad, dried up, shallow person? I don't think so. I have friends that I see occasionally. I have my Mom and sister, along with my nieces and nephew. We talk on the phone as much as possible. (I live on my cell phone) I go out now and again. I travel. But pretty much it's just me.

I made that choice when I choose to go into sales. I deal with major retailers and cover the ground level. At one time I spent many hours/days traveling around the country alone. I'd get home and work to catch up and then off I'd go again. Now it is just really long days, lots of driving, reports and presentations to do when I am home and being available to put out the fires where ever and when ever the situation arises.

It can be fun and exciting (and rather addicting if we're honest) but not conducive to building relationships.

The problem is people start forgetting to invite you to places and events. After you say no so many times they take you off the list. It's not meant as a mean thing, it just happens.

There are a few times it all catches up with me. When I arrive at the airport after a flight and there is no one to meet me, or even really care that I'm home. Or when I get home after a long day on the road, pull up in front of the house and realize there is no one there to ease the burden of the day.

Would I like to change that? Yes. But the problem is I love what I do - it's a major part of who I am, and I do not believe that a person can be less than who they are and remain happy. There in lies the dilemma.

I don't say this for anyone to feel sorry for me. As I said, I choose this lifestyle. And that is what sales is all about. It is NOT a career, it's a lifestyle. You'll get calls at all hours, any day of the week. You are away from home. A Lot.

At some point, you have to step back and decide if all the things you passed up were worth the sacrifice. It's a personal decision. All I know is at the end of the day I love what I do, believe in the product I represent and know that I will always do something like this. Always. It's in my blood.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES