.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Let's Get Serious 

I have a soapbox - and I'm getting ready to step up on it.

JFK (no, not that one, the Original) is often quoted as saying "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." In my mind that filters all the way down to social issues right here at home.

What have you done to make the world a better place? It's really not a tough question. Are you kind? Do you volunteer any of your free time? Is your career such, that it's all about service? Hmmm? Just asking.

I believe that giving back to society is actually a very selfish act, and one that I indulge in regularly. I feel good about myself and the fact that I am helping to make my world a better, safer place.

My biggest hot button is Domestic Violence. There shouldn't be any. Period. I work with my local shelter speaking to groups raising awareness and drumming up support.

Our Chapter is called The Spring (link not available at this time). They focus on providing a safe, secure environment for healing and starting over. One of the greatest aspects of this organization is how they work with the children. They provide education and a place where they can share their experiences and understand they are not the only one dealing with these issues. The other part of the process is Breaking the Cycle. 80% of all victims (especially children) become abusers if not counseled. That breaks my heart.

Why am I sharing all this. 1) Because I can. 2) It's a subject I feel passionate about. 3) To encourage you to get involved in SOMETHING.

Big Brothers and Big Sisters are great organizations that work with the children that need love, attention and guidance. There are numerous homeless shelters that need attention - food, blankets, clothing. Give 'em a call, see what you can do. Soldiers Angels is another great way to help out. It's a great organization doing very good things!

You don't have to take a huge chunk out of your time, sometimes it's as simple as dropping stuff off at the location, or writing a letter. But do it - you won't regret it. Plus, you'll feel pretty darn good about yourself

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES