.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 22, 2004

My Sister - The Hero 

My sister is a Firefighter and Paramedic. She spends her days putting herself in danger and helping other people. I'm so proud of her.

When she first decided to make this her career, I'll admit we (the family) were less than supportive. I mean, come on....WHY?!? She's a single mother with 3 children that really need her.

But after all these years it is more than obvious as to why. She was born to do this. She didn't chose it, it chose her.

She took the Physical Fitness (sorry don't know the correct phrase) parts of the test with some real disadvantages - one, She's Really Short! (sorry, couldn't resist a little sisterly slam) Also, she had walking pneumonia along with a very high fever. She didn't just pass - she blew that obstacle course away!

And she is very good at what she does. One day Mom and I were over at her house, and we came across some awards that she has received. Not just some - many. She never mentioned a word about them. When we asked for details she just brushed us off. "I was just doing my job."

She doesn't often share stories of her job. I can not imagine what she sees and has to deal with day in and day out. The stories that she does tell break my heart.

I just wanted to share with you a bit about a pretty wonderful woman - who is one of thousands that, every day, put their lives on the line for us.

Thank You Dawn. I know I don't say it often enough - but I am very proud of the person you are! Be Safe.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES