.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 22, 2004

Old Time Rock & Roll 

Last nite they had the induction ceremony for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on VH1. Normally this is not something I would have on my list of things to watch, but Cold Case Files was a rerun (and if I watched one more show about Pizza on the Food Channel I was going to breakdown and make one). Plus, my friend is a huge Jackson Brown fan so I figured it would be a good idea to catch parts of it in case it came up in conversation. Wait, what's this - they were finally getting around to recognizing Bob Seger and ZZ Top. I hadn't seen them in ages.

Bruce Springstein introduced Jackson, and it was very sweet. I'm sitting there smiling and thinking how much my friend must be enjoying this.

Then they introduce Bob Seger. I smiled and nodded and thought back to when his music was ALL I listened to. Then he started playing. Immediately I'm 16 years old - sitting on the hood of my 1978 Pontiac Ventura in the parking lot of the Ben Franklin, drinking Coke & Beam, smoking cigarettes and knowing he was singing about us.

Who doesn't know at least the chorus of "Old Time Rock & Roll" and feel the need to sing along when you hear it? One of my personal favorites is "Love to Watch Her Strut". I could go on and on, gushing as it were, but I'll spare you all that this morning.

The other group that hits my youth square on the jaw is ZZ Top. Those Dudes were so cool, beards and all. I just love their music. Every time I see a PT Cruiser their song "She's Got Legs" starts looping thru my mind. I don't know why, but that's what I think of.

I don't feel 41 when I hear this music. I'm that awkward 16 year old girl worried about who's dating who and how the heck am I going to get past Mom when I try to sneak into the house.

So today I'll be working from home - you'll know it's my house for the Seger, ZZ Top (and some Lynyrd Skynyrd thrown in for good measure) blasting out the windows.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES