.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 05, 2004

Ode To Beer Can 

Got Ya! Not what you think! Beer Can Key is my favorite beach in the world. I've been to some great ones - maybe this is my favorite because it's the easiest for me to access, I don't know, but it is my haven of peace.

Beer Can is located on the very northern tip of Long Boat Key, Sarasota. It's semi-private, which is just a fancy way of saying that the residents wanted government funding to keep it up so they put in about 12 parking spots. Well, that works just fine by me. I get there early so I don't have a parking problem.

That brings up a point for pondering. Why is it that Floridians wait until the middle of the afternoon to go to the beach or take the boat out? That makes no sense to me. I like to get there early (around 9:00am) and get the day started. That way there is more grill & beer time afterwards - but I digress.

There is never a crowd at Beer Can - just the way I like it. I don't have to worry about finding a place to settle down, but I still find plenty of people watching to entertain me.

*Read in island accent of your choosing* Come, walk the beaches of Beer Can with me.

You troop over a little bridge to the softest, whitest sand you could imagine. It feels like silk on your bare feet. You crest the hill and, no matter how often you've been there it takes your breath away. The water is the brightest blue, with just a touch of green in the deeper spots. Between the white of the sand and the blue of the water it's almost overwhelming. So, you pick your spot - come on, let's go over here by that hill. The sea oats are so nice when they rustle in the breeze.

After you get settled, it's time to test the water. Right now the temperature is a bit cool for me, but you might not mind. You hardly ever have to worry about current or waves being too strong - only when there's a storm coming. No problem today.

You could walk the beach - one of my favorite past times. Going south takes you into Long Boat. Pretty - but starting to get a bit crowded. Come on, let's go to the northern side of the island. As you walk, you get away from any houses/condos. The tip of the island is awash with Australian Pine trees. I like to walk just along the edge of the water. That way I can watch for shells and tropical fish.

As you round the tip you come to the "port". It's a small cove where all the boats anchor and everyone is sitting in the water or on the sand, drinking a beer or two and just chilling out.

Time to go back to the chair. The walk only takes about 40 mins (if you don't get distracted) and if you time it around 1:00 in the afternoon you might just get to see the dolphins in the intercoastal feeding and playing - what a wonderful treat that is.

Get settled, pop open a cold drink and simply relax. What a great way to spend an afternoon. I don't know about you, but I feel much better about facing my week.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES