.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 08, 2004

What's Been Goin' On? 

The last couple of days have been a blur. So this morning I thought I'd catch up on what is going on outside of my little world. WOW. This is what I'm finding.

According to this article in Newsday, there is talk of some troops having to extent their time in Iraq - specifically those soldiers slated to come home next month. I cannot imagine how they, and their families are feeling right now.

It's already Thursday - the day Dr. Rice testifies before the 9/11 commission. It should be some interesting reading for the next couple of days.

In the blog world - Jennifer Martinez shares some editorials that you really need to read. Good Stuff.

Matt, at Blackfive, has this statement to make about the media. I don't know about you, but it spiked my blood pressure by the 2nd paragraph. It also reminds me of the first time I saw the media bias in action.

When I was in college I spent 6 months in Costa Rica, working with malnourished children. During that time I lived with a wonderful family just outside of San Jose. The group that I traveled with were spread out all over the country so I was rather isolated from any Americans and only got information the Miami Herald that was running about 4 days behind.

During that time there was a border incident between Nicaragua and Panama. The Mother of my family was from Panama and had family in the middle of the situation. So - I was able to get first hand account of what occurred, why and who was involved. By the time the article came out in the Herald I had a good grasp of the facts. When I saw the spin the paper put on the incident and how they painted the picture to sway the American public I was just plan pissed off. I felt betrayed, lied to, and ashamed. I couldn't believe that in the land of free press this type of reporting was allowed. I stopped reading the paper for years (and to this day would rather get my news in other ways).

I lost my innocence that day. I suddenly realized I couldn't trust the newspapers to tell me what was REALLY going on. That led to distrusting all news organizations. And to me that is the real tragedy. Thank goodness for the age of technology. Now we have the opportunity to get the real story and get the facts out in the open quickly. Unfortunately - not everyone understands that you have to look beyond the headlines and search for the truth.

Deep breathe. OK - so that's what I see going on outside my little world right now. I'm going to be saying an extra prayer today. For all of us.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES