.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 27, 2004

I Love That Rush 

As I stated, I had to take a day from packing, organizing and moving to do a bit a training to get a fellow rep out of a jam. It was a pain in the ass, trying to rearrange my schedule. It put things with the move at a real disadvantage. I'm not even going to say what it did to my schedule with the game and such. BUT - I did it for purely selfish reasons.

You see, that is probably my favorite part of the job. I love to conduct training. Every time. In talking with a friend, I tried to explain the incredible rush I get during and especially after I conduct a large training class.

I enjoy the preparation - but don't put as much into it as some people do. I personalize a training book with miscellaneous information and trivia in it. I call it down time reading. I stress that I need them to browse thru it, as it will only make them more knowledgeable about the product, the history and the subject of sleep. (Important in my industry.) But - it's up to them.

Then I pull together a spec sheet that goes into the details of each of the products that they carry for me. We discuss this in detail. We talk about foams, gauge of wire, construction and durability. Sound boring - it can be. But it's my job to keep the interest up. I tell stories that make them laugh, stories that make them think. I love to tell stories. :)

Yesterday I screwed up a bit, but it turned out alright in the end. You need to know - I don't blush easily. In fact, one of the only people that can make me blush is myself. Well, I stepped into it yesterday. In trying to demonstrate how very impactful sleep deprivation is I gave an example one of the guys gave in a class I observed last week. *Now I should set this up by telling you these were very street smart sales reps. The easiest way to describe them is to say I needed a shower to remove that oily feeling at the end of the day.

I point to one guy and say:
OK - you and I are going out for a drink. That alright with you?

Yeah, sure (evil grin)

But - you've had a good 8 hours sleep the night before - you're well rested.

Sure hope that's a factor in the evening (laughter throughout the room)

OK - now Mike here is going to join us. However, Mike only had 6 hours sleep. Mike has 3 drinks, you have 5. Who am I going home with?

OK - so that doesn't work so well when you're a woman talking to a group of gutter-dwelling salesmen. So - I try to dig myself out.

NO, seriously, Mike's 3 drinks will hit him 2x as hard after abbreviated sleep. Jimmy is actually functioning fine.

Well, Shit. Not the way I meant that to go.

It continued to spiral out of control until I finally just made some smart ass remark and moved on.

BUT - the good part is, those guys will not be forgetting that fact anytime in the near future. :) Maybe not the way I meant it to go, but the end result is perfect.

ANYWAY, I love the rush of the training class. Me verses them. They are trying to trip me up. They don't on the facts. I love to see that look come into their eyes when I make a point they hadn't thought of. I relish the moment when they realize I can help them make more money.

Afterwards, the adrenaline is pumping. I can't explain it. It's just a high that lasts for hours. I have a hard time focusing on any one thing. If I'm near friends I usually stop by until the rush passes. I win. Oh, nobody but me was aware there was even a competition, but hey, I still win.

The rush of success is incredible. It's what keeps me going. I needed it right now, that's why I said I would help out yesterday. You see, it was strictly for selfish reasons. I love the rush.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES