.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 10, 2004

What's Been Goin' On? 

I have to admit - I did have a little fun while I was in Miami. Yes, they were long, long days but we made up for that in the evening.

You see, we are a team that has struggled over the past few months. We've had a lot of shuffling at the upper management level with in this region. Not much communication and spirits and focus have drifted. We've lost some incredible reps. 5 in 4 months. That hurts. We've only replaced one so far, so we've been stretched very thin. Normally we have 40 doors a month to hit. Doesn't sound like much, but it is when you realize those are existing customers and you have to prospect on top of that.

Prospecting takes a lot of preparation. Especially when you are as data driven as I am. I want to know all about the demographics of consumers in the area I am hitting, I want to know income levels, new housing growth, employment rates and anything else I can get built into my spreadsheets. I have a big pitch tomorrow and I'm hoping to pull this guy into my fold.

Anyway, since we've been struggling with leadership we haven't had any team meetings, so this is the first time all 13 Florida reps have been together since November. We had a lot of time to make up. We needed to toast Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years, lots of hugs for Valentines. There were success stories to celebrate and losses to mourn. In other words, we did a bit of drinking.

I have to admit I'm a bit out of practice. But I held my own just fine, thank you very much. All those years selling steel had to be good for something.

We went to Dave and Buster's Tuesday. I had one of the best meals I've had in over a year. That steak brought tears to my eyes. But then again, I've been living on fast food for 3 months so it could just be the comparison. I'll have to go back soon to make sure.

Last night it was Sloppy Joes. The meal wasn't so good. In fact I sent my blackened grouper back. Grouper is my favorite, but I'm very picky about it. However, the Tropical Margaritas were so good I had to have several. Then, on the way to the car I some how found myself sitting in an Irish Pub enjoying a couple of pints. At some point I demonstrated the finer points of dancing the jig (thank goodness the only digital camera was mine and no one knew it was in my purse).

This morning was a bit of a challenge, but I'm pleased to announce no one knew that I might be just a bit under the counter. :) I even pulled off a very important meeting with my new boss in which I managed to ask an intelligent question or two.

Our new R.V.P. ROCKS. He's an Italian boy raised in Jersey, lived most of his adult life in Chicago and you know EXACTLY where you stand with him. We hit it off immediately. I can honestly say I have a lot of hope for the next couple of years. The competition better watch out - the Florida Team is locked and loaded.

Anyway - that's what I've been up to. We worked pretty hard this week, and this weekend doesn't look to be any slower. But it's all golden. And we made time for just enough fun to help us remember we are human.

Damn, where is that motrin? I'm feeling a bit more human than I need to right now.

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES