.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Ivan and Friends 

Ivan is preparing to strike. I only hope those in the "cone" are prepared for it. This bastard looks to be worse than Charley and Frances combined. With the force of Charley and the size and speed (or lack there of) of Frances things don't look good for those in the Panhandle, coastal Alabama or New Orleans.

It's weird not hearing all the information. Now that we know that Central/South Florida will not suffer a direct hit, trying to get information on this storm is frustrating to say the least. Oh, there are the usual channels, MEDIA, Weather.com, Wunderground, and THIS SITE I got from Bou. But I'm used to finding information on every channel. I'm used to constant updates. It's frustrating as hell, I really need to know what's going on.

I also find that I'm feeling a little guilty. I'm so used to these monsters aiming in my general direction, I feel guilty for the relief I feel that I don't have to worry about myself. I wouldn't wish this on ANYONE! But I can't deny that I'm so happy I don't have to deal with this one head on.

Now, Jeanne is a whole 'nother ballgame. Look at this. I know it's early, and as Ivan has showed these storms can change course at any time, but this just don't look good at all. Talk about the old 1 / 2 punch. Damn. This looks a lot like the track Frances took. This will definitely bear watching.

So, my prayers go out to all those in Ivan's path. And that doesn't mean just those in coastal areas. I live in CENTRAL Florida, no where near a beach (gulf or ocean) and we've had our asses kicked 2x now. If they are showing you anywhere near the intended path of the bad boy, PREPARE. PREPARE. PREPARE. Trust me, you CANNOT Prepare Enough. Get Gas. Even if there is plenty, the pumps don't work with out electricity. Get Batteries. Get lanterns, not just flashlights. WATER WATER WATER. Nonperishable foods. Honestly - you'll be glad you have them when the winds are howling around you and you don't know what the next few days/weeks will hold. That little piece of mind, knowing that you have done all you can to prepare is worth it. Get bug spray, both for people and your home. Ants, flying stingy things and spiders will be looking for someplace to go. They like homes. They like our homes. Keep them out.

You know, I used to think those that talked in the manner of what I've just posted were alarmists. You know - "the sky if falling" types. NOW - I'm happy to go back to quoting the Girl Scouts Motto "Always be prepared". Oh, yeah. Now, it's all about peace of mind.



|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES