.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 16, 2004

So Let Me Tell You 'Bout My Day.... 

First, I know I'm cheating. I'm dating these posts for tomorrow morning, as I know I'm not going to have time to post anything.

I'm exhausted. Physically and mentally. I am too damn old to be setting up 19 beds (frames, headboards/footboards, boxes and matts) with a 65 yr old man as my only real help. But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Morning starts out at 5:00am. WAY earlier than I wanted to get up, but there's no hope for it. The eyes opened and weren't going to close back up anytime soon. So I get up, make coffee, blog and get ready for the day. Handle a couple of fires and I'm dressed and out the door by 8:00am.

My new customer is finally ready to set up his floor and open for business this weekend. WooHoo. I have a lot of hope for this account, I think we'll both do pretty well for ourselves.

Only problem is he's never sold beds before. Knows nothing about the business. He and I have developed a really good relationship and he's made it clear he is depending on me for everything. (please Lord, don't let me fail him!)

So I head on over to the east coast to get him set up. The nice thing is I get to wear jeans and be comfortable. I'd have preferred shorts, but didn't want to push my luck.

So I get over there and the room is bare except for 2 stacks of platforms. Oh No. Way too many platforms and they need to be set up. BTW - these are all for queen size beds, not exactly light weight. So I start carrying them where I need them to be. Put together 2 twin frames, another queen and a king. Decide which displays I want headboards with and get those assembled.

Now it's time to head to the warehouse. Oh, did I mention this store got hit pretty bad by Frances? No? The owner stayed at the store all night sucking the water in to a WetVac as it came in the doors. This man is dedicated. And focused on getting open.

So anyway, back to the warehouse. It's about 120 degrees in there (no shit). The delivery didn't go smooth, from what I heard, so there are boxes and matts everywhere. Plus, having never sold beds, they don't know the best way to store them or inventory them. After an hour we get the first load ready to take into the shop.

I start pulling the boxes off the cart, tearing off the heavy plastic bags and getting them placed. Again, remember mostly queen beds - the boxes aren't that heavy just very awkward, and no scooting allowed. Can't scuff up the display beds. Doesn't look good.

So I'm slinging boxes. I'm now exhausted. Did I mention 19 beds? Oh, sorry, I wasn't sure.

Now it's time to bring the matts in. Oh. My. Goodness. Those suckers are heavy. I mean very very heavy.

So.......long story short. I didn't get it all done today. I have to go back tomorrow. AND I get to spend even more quality time in the warehouse doing inventory and setting up a storage system.

By the time I got home, I was dragging. I stopped for cigarettes and the girl at the smoke shop took one look at me and started laughing. My hair is so curly I look like Annie. I was barefooted, filthy and could barely put one foot in front of another. I'm limping cause I jammed my big toe on my right foot and dropped a box on the left, resulting in a lovely gash right over the vein. Let's not even talk about what my back feels like. Oh yeah, I'm a lovely sight about now.

So....I have about 4 hours of work to do on the computer for tomorrows visit. I'm too tired to do it tonite, so that means a very early morning. Hence the reason for the "cheatin" posts. I'm sure you understand.

I'm way too old for this shit!


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks