.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Oh For Cryin' Out Loud 

I am so sick and tired of everything always being someone else's fault. I just hate that. And it seems so prevalant in this society anymore. I know that thought process is out there, but sometimes I can forget. Then I see some stupid article, like this one, and it all comes rushing back.....

"Racy music, TV blamed for teen sex". So what are you tellin' me with a headline like that? Before racy music and TV teenagers didn't have sex?? Oh, please, please try and make me believe THAT one.

Personal responsibility. PERSONAL. RESPONSIBILITY. Yeah, I know kids are exposed to more and more crap every day- and yes, every once in a while even *I* am surprised at some of it. But kids will be kids. And parents MUST be parents. If parents are communicating with their kids, talking to them, working with them, showing them about responsibility and such - THAT is a stronger influence than any TV show, movie or song.

When my kids were young, I was pretty young too. My oldest was only 10 years younger than I was. I was new to the whole parenting thing, and I know I made lots and lots of mistakes. But the most important thing to me was to be a good example. I tried to keep in mind that these kids were watching me, paying attention. I didn't want to send mixed signals. I wanted to show them there was a life - with morals and values - beyond what they had known.

Now.......I will admit my boys were doin' the hoochy koochy at a young age. Hell, their Daddy had a party when the oldest walked on the wild side. I was mortified. I had to work up the courage, at 23, to talk to him about safe sex, responsibility, restraint. I STILL shudder when I remember THAT little talk. And I knew at that time I still had 2 more to get through. YIKES.

But I never blamed anyone else for what my kids did. Same with my nieces and nephew. It wasn't the music they listend to, or the movies their Daddy let them watch - it was us. It was OUR actions they watched.

So I am about sick and tired of this same recycled bullshit that everyone else is the reason kids act up. And what makes me even sicker is the fact that people fall for this line of crap. I just don't understand whatever happened to personal responsibility.

I'm just waitin' now to see them start the damned CD burnin' and campaign against movies. It's just the same old cycle, over and over again..........

|


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My "Other" Family - Fizzen Sparks
ARCHIVES